27 Mar 2010

A living, breathing Hac

The Hackintosh lives and breathes. For the technically minded, which you probably are if you're reading this, here is the spec so far:

Gigabyte G31M-ES2L v2.0 motherboard (although as this is a Hac, we should call it a logic board)
Intel E6300 2.8 Dual Core (not the older 6300 1.8 c2d) overclocked to 3.15GHz
Onboard network (doesn't work)
Onboard graphics (limited functionality)
2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
+ other bits and pieces that were lying around.

I've finally got it reasonably stable using iAtkos 7, but as mentioned, no network. Apparently the earlier v1.x board has a different LAN chip that does work.

The display res has only one choice - 1024x768. Not much good, but I'll be putting in a double head card when I have the money as this will be replacing a double-headed G4.

I got the sound working using the Apple HDA kext (and Azalia enabled in the BIOS)
Other options that I can remember are:

Cheesy bootloader (I can't remember what it's called, but it begins with an X and looks like a russian version of cheesy - not Chameleon, anyway). It looks really good at startup, whereas Chameleon looks like some early Suse Linux experiment. It boots quickly, too.
Mostly a random selection of other stuff.

Sleep and restart don't work yet. About this Mac was reporting the CPU correctly, but now it thinks it's 4 GHz, even though I unclocked it back to 2.8.

When I get it fine-tuned a bit more, I'll report in detail which install options I selected.

No comments:

Post a Comment