21 Mar 2010

My new Hac

The time has come to try building a 'Mac' from scratch. We're talking Hackintosh here. With Apple's move to Intel-based computers, several wily people have devised ways of installing the latest Mac operating systems - Leopard and Snow Leopard - on run-of-the-mill PC hardware.

Well, I say run-of-the-mill, but it does need to be reasonably up-to-date. I have acquired a Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L motherboard already (for £29) and I'm awaiting delivery of the E6300 dual core processor and 2GB of memory. This will give me a slightly below current spec Mac at a cost of around £120. Okay, I'll be using some stuff I have around already like a case, a hard disk and so on, but with an iMac currently running at around £900 I think it's a pretty good alternative.

I've no idea how stable it'll prove to be, but I'm looking forward to being able to run Ubuntu and (sadly) Windows inside OS X. It will make life a lot easier and my desk a lot less cluttered. It might even perk up the family once the replaced G4 MDD moves down the line (a superb, if noisy, machine).

I'll post more as I build

No comments:

Post a Comment